These Italian Donuts better known as a Bomboloni are made with a soft yeast dough and filled with your favourite pastry cream filling. Served for breakfast or snack or just about anytime.
PREP TIME: 15 mins
COOK TIME: 6 mins
RISING TIME: 4 hrs
TOTAL TIME: 4 hrs 21 mins
COURSE: Breakfast, Dessert, Snack
CALORIES: 316 kcal
- 1/4 cup + 3 tablespoons milk (lukewarm – 2%) (105 grams)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar (30 grams)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil (37 grams)
- 1 large egg (room temperature)
- zest of 1/2 an orange
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups + 2 tablespoons all purpose flour (275 grams)
- 1 pinch salt
- In the bowl of the stand up mixer add the milk and sprinkle the yeast on top, let it sit for five minutes then mix together. Then add the sugar, vegetable oil, egg, orange zest and vanilla, whisk together to combine.In the bowl of the stand up mixer add the milk and sprinkle the yeast on top, let it sit for five minutes then mix together. Then add the sugar, vegetable oil, egg, orange zest and vanilla, whisk together to combine.1 cup pastry cream of choice
- Slowly add the flour and pinch of salt and with the dough hook attachment, start to mix the dough until it comes together, remember don’t go higher than speed 2, continue to knead the dough for about seven minutes, the dough must be smooth and elastic.
- On a flat surface knead the dough a few times form it into a ball, then place it in a lightly oiled bowl, remember to roll the dough to cover it lightly in the oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it sit in a warm draft free area for about two-three hours or until tripled in bulk.
- Once the time has passed, knead the dough a few times, roll it to a thickness of 1/4 -1/3 inch, cut into six rounds with a 2 1/2 inch / 6 1/2 cm round cookie cutter, place them on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet, cover with plastic wrap and let them rise again for another hour.
- In a medium sized pot add about 2 inches of vegetable oil, and heat it to 340-350F (170-175C), try to keep it as close to this temperature as possible while frying. Fry the donuts, turning a couple of times for about two to three minutes on each side.
- Remove the fried Bomboloni with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate, but leave them only for a couple of seconds, then roll immediately in granulated sugar, be sure to cover them well.
- Let them cool a little then with the end of a wooden spoon make an indentation at the side of the donut or on top if you prefer, twist it around to open up some space. You are going to want to fill that space with some creamy pastry cream, a simple chantilly cream or even your favourite hazelnut cream. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
NOTESIf you wish to try baking them, then bake for about 20 minutes in a pre-heated oven at 350F (180C), let them cool before filling, then sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Protein: 9gFat: 11g
Saturated Fat: 7g
Fiber: 2gSugar: 8g
Vitamin A: 147